Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Matt's Musings - Entry 1

O.K.
This is the start of my first blog. I must confess that I have been TERRIBLE about keeping a regular journal. I am hoping that this will be good training for me.


Exceedingly Broad
I remember the first time that the Grand Canyon took my breath away. I could hardly believe that what I was seeing was reality. It is difficult to behold something of it’s size and beauty and not be moved.
If you’ve seen the canyon, you know what I mean when I say that it is “exceedingly broad.” Many great athletes have been humbled by it’s desert climate, risking dehydration and even death, attempting to reach the canyon floor and return to the rim in a single day. They discover how far away the next horizon really is, and find their own strength reaching it’s limitation. To come up against such greatness is to be reminded of our own smallness.
Psalm 119:96 says “I have seen a limit to all perfection; [but] Your commandment is exceedingly broad!” Like the grand canyon – the more you look into God’s commands, the more minute details you notice, each profound in beauty and perfection. To gaze and gaze and feel that there is no limit brings humility and awe – HIS commands are EXCEEDINGLY broad.
They hold up in all times, and in all circumstances. They can be tested, and they will always prove to be steadfast. This is the comfort of leaning against something that will not move – in any circumstance. It is though we stand on the edge of the canyon of the INFINITE, and then we begin to realize our own small size. Before gazing into that canyon, perhaps we thought that we were the center of the universe. It often takes that glance to take our breath away, and move us to worship. Oh God, let us catch a greater glimpse! You are our Rock – steadfast, unchanging, big enough for each of today’s trials. Forgive us for losing sight of Your magnitude in the passing fad of multiculturalism. Such claims of moral relativity the death of truth are utter foolishness and lunacy.
The world says that God’s word is outdated; it was temporary, and has now passed.
God says that the earth itself will pass away, but that his Word will endure!
In the end, truth will prove itself to have been true!

No comments:

Thoughts and resources...